19 Sep 5-Minutes with Dermalogica chatting about Summer Skin
This year, I partnered with Dermalogica who have helped me embrace my skin with a routine that is tailored to my needs and concerns. It has been an interesting year! Last year, you would never catch me out and about without makeup, but this year it is rare that I wear makeup while running errands or doing my day to day chores. Instead of using makeup to cover up my bad skin, I use it to express myself and explore my skills. I can confidently say that I have learnt to love my skin and that I find it to be beautiful. It’s not something that happened overnight but it’s been worth the long journey to get it to where it is today.
As the season changes, so should our approach to our skin routine but if you’re like me, you are probably not quite sure where to even begin! So I decided to chat to Ilze, the training manager of Dermalogica’s concept stores, to find out more about our skin in summer.
What changes can be expected during the seasonal transition?
With the increase in temperature, the skin is known to produce more oil. Ilze says that the skin produces 1% more oil in summer, so you should consider using an oil-free, lightweight moisturiser i.e. Dermalogica’s Active Moist.
What is the number one mistake that we make during the warmer seasons?
Thinking that sunscreen will induce breakouts because it’s ‘sticky, oily or greasy’. If the concern is that sunscreens are indeed too greasy, oily and sticky for your liking, consider using a light-weight sunscreen that will you give you matte look i.e. Dermalogica’s Oil-Free Matte SFP30.
Which 3 Dermalogica products are summer essentials?
Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster SPF50 – RRSP: 780
- Boost the UV-defence of your moisturizer by mixing equal parts together. It may also be used alone for maximum SPF50 coverage.
- Sophisticated, non-chalky formula forms an invisible shield against skin damaging environmental assault.
- Antioxidants help improve skin smoothness and softness while providing added defence against skin-ageing free radicals.
Dermalogica Antioxidant Hydramist – RRSP: R740
- Hydrates to reduce fine lines associated with dryness.
- Creates an antioxidant shield against free radicals.
- Refreshing mist can be spritzed on skin throughout the day.
Dermalogica Sheer Tint SPF20 – RRSP: R730
- The convenience of a moisturizer, sun protection and skin-evening sheer colour wash in one.
- Helps balance skin tone and soften fine lines.
- Provides Broad Spectrum defence against UV damage.
What is your tip for healthier-looking skin in summer?
Exfoliation and hydration are key in summer. Coming from the winter season, we can experience a dull and dehydrated appearance. Try the Dermalogica Daily Resurfacer followed by Dermalogica’s Phyto-Replenish oil for a healthy, dewy summer look.
What is your go-to treatment for sun damaged skin?
Dermalogica’s Power Up! Treatment. This 70 minute, customised expert strength skin treatment takes the advanced technology of BioSurface™ Peel and the IonActive™ System to another level, targeting even the most stubborn skin concerns.