Valentine’s Day might not be everybody’s box of choclate, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be using it as a fun excuse to cover the blog with posts dedicated to those who love celebrating love. I had never celebrated Valentine’s Day until the year that D and I got married and since then, we have alternated who organizes Valentine’s Day each year. This year, it is his chance to plan what we do – we have done everything from movies and takeouts at home, to fancy and romantic dinners (with a teething baby in tow), to home-made dinners and crafty gifts.
Today’s blog post is dedicated to sharing cool, cheesy and cheeky date night ideas – feel free to steal one (or a few) to treat your significant other to.
1. Have a fondue night and enjoy your favourite movies on Netflix – it doesn’t have to be the cliché rom-com, why not try some stand-up comedy, an action or even a thriller. Don’t forget to stock up on all your favourite snacks!
2. Try cooking your Valentine’s meal together – home cooked meals are just the best, so why not share your family’s best kept recipe and make it a new tradition of cooking it together.
3. Go for a walk on the beach and take a picnic along – you can be extra cheesy and write “I love you” in the sand or make shell jewelry, you know, in case you’re feeling creative.
4. Create a love- hunt – make a fun and quirky hunt with clues leading to all their favourite things and ending with a meal at their favourite restaurant, followed by a movie that they’ve been meaning to see.
5. If you love selfies and want to capture the moment, then try your hand at the #SelfieScavengerDate idea, seen here.
6. If you’re in need of some pampering, which I am pretty sure we all are, why not book a couple’s spa date followed by lunch, or an early dinner. We did this a few years back during our honeymoon, and while D didn’t think he’d like the idea of being pampered, he ended up loving it more than I did – hahaha!
7. Put together a DIY picnic in your backyard – pick out some of your favourite snacks and treats, hang up some fairy lights and put down a blanket. It doesn’t have to always be fancy – a few stolen moments to just enjoy each other’s company is all it takes!
8. Take a stroll down memory lane and recreate your first date… but with less awkwardness.
9. Travel the world from the comfort of your own home, with this cute idea of a themed dinner night.
10. Pick out a few small tubs of ice-cream and create your own ice-cream (nougat, chocolate, wine or bubbly) tasting, don’t forget the toppings! You could also opt for an at home waffle, smores, cupcake, or cereal bar – depending what you and yours like the most. Remember if you don’t have a sweet tooth, you could opt for crackers with different toppings or even small pizzas or burgers.
11. Build a fort, yes, just like the kids do! Get cosy, grab snacks, watch a movie or write each other coded love letters.
12. Take a drive away from the city and go stargazing, don’t forget to take hot chocolate, a blanket to lay on and maybe even grab some Chinese takeaways. (Insert a bad joke about getting lucky – with a fortune cookie, of course)
13. Discover a nearby town, grab a bite to eat and maybe stay the night. D and I have done spontaneous escapes to nearby towns quite often, we’ve always found treasures in the small towns around us and they hold some of my fondest memories.
14. If your bedroom is anything like mine, it is probably far from being your romantic escape (thanks, toddler). Browse through Désir and surprise your Valentine with scented massage candles, new sheets, rose petals and some soft music. Snuggle up, play some scrabble and enjoy the company.
15. If you’re feeling cheeky, why not do a blind tasting by introducing a blindfold and some sweet treats. Have your significant other, guess what you’ve put in their mouth and reward them for ever
Désir is a South African based online store which offers couples everything from lingerie, linen, gifts, sex toys and bondage. They wanted to help create an unforgettable date night for you and your significant other, by giving away a R1000 voucher to shop from their online store, and make your date night even more special! If you’re not too sure what to buy, here’s a handy gift guide with some suggestions. To enter, all you have to do is follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter below.
(Competition opens on the 1st of February and closes on the 19th of February, winner(s) will be contacted via email and will have 48 hours to claim prize.)