30 Oct PediaSure offers insight on Picky Eaters and hosts 24 session to help moms and teachers
We’ve all encountered a time where our kids refuse to eat or will only eat certain foods. While childhood does often include these phases, you should know that if mealtimes become stressful and are often accompanied by arguments, you may just have a picky eater on your hands.
Know what to look for
Picky eating may cause: weight loss, stunted growth, lack of vital nutrients, greater risk of infection, failure to thrive with poor cognitive development, learning disabilities and developmental delays. With these risks, it isn’t any wonder why parents begin to worry about their children once they’ve identified them as a picky eater but what should we be looking out for?
Picky eaters’ behaviour includes:
- Refuse to eat
- Play with food
- Eat less than usual
- Dislike vegetables, fruit, meat or milk
- Dislike chewing
- Demand the same food at every meal
- Prefer ‘junk food’ to healthy food
- Make a mess at the table
- Throw tantrums at mealtimes
PediaSure aims to educate moms and teachers on picky eating
PediaSure® Complete is hosting 24 Word of Mouth sessions in Gauteng, the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal that aim to provide parents and teachers with insight on picky eaters and introducing them to the PediaSure® Complete offering.
To encourage conversation around the topic of picky eating and PediaSure® Complete, the Word of Mouth sessions will be held in a casual venue, like an influencer’s home or at a school. Each session will have no more than 12 participants to encourage a more informal approach and to allow guests the opportunity to ask questions and get involved.
The topics that can be expected to be covered will include the teaching environment and school, teachers’ and moms’ awareness of picky eating, experiences with picky eaters and their moms who’ve asked for advice, childhood nutrition and food supplements.
Participants will be educated around picky eating and receive tips on how to deal with it. They will also get to take home a PediaSure® gift hamper at the end of each session which will allow teachers to hand out these elements to relevant parents in their classes, to help assist with picky eaters at home.
With its Word of Mouth sessions, PediaSure® Complete is set to stimulate a valuable conversation between the brand, parents and teachers that will ensure the optimal nutrition of picky eaters.
Want to teach your children about healthy eating habits? Here’s some tips from PediaSure® Complete that can make mealtimes easier:
- Establish set meal and snack times.
- Make the right foods available to your children to help them choose healthy foods.
- Mealtimes should be family time, encourage all family members sit together and eat the same meals.
- Avoid television and other distractions that may lead to a disinterest in food.
- Learn to understand your child’s hunger signals.
- Consistently offer new healthy foods but introduce one new food at a time instead of serving a completely new meal, as you may overwhelm them.
- Serve small portion sizes when introducing new foods and gradually move on to bigger portions.
- Encourage self-respect and self-acceptance and never criticize your child’s body type.
This post is sponsored by PediaSure®Complete. The comments on this page do not constitute medical advice. Your healthcare professional is best placed to evaluate your child’s growth and development. Should you haveany concerns or questions, please seek advice from your healthcare professional? For product-related questions, contact the Abbott Nutrition Support Line on 0861 22 68 87.
I am Megan Kelly, the creator behind By Megan Kelly, mom of two boys, named Axl and Eli, and local business owner providing digital marketing solutions. I live on copious amounts of coffee, can be bribed with chocolate and will never admit to having too much makeup – although, I probably do.